Nominations to the election of the IASA Board 2011
Dear IASA member!
The year 2011 is election year for IASA.
The Nominating Committee hereby invites nominations for the following Board positions:
- Three Vice-Presidents
Please observe that all nominations must include proposer, seconder and name of nominee together with the office for which he/she is being nominated. A nomination form is enclosed.
Send your nomination either by e-mail (as pdf), fax or mail to any of the Nominating Committee members by January 17th 2011, at the latest. The slate of nominations will be mailed to the membership by May 3rd 2011 for postal ballot. Deadline for postal ballots is August 17th 2011.
Candidates applying for an Executive Board office shall, as a rule,
- Have professional experience in the archiving business and, as they will represent the Association if elected, a good standing and reputation.
- Take into account that their commitment will last for three years at least (for presidents six years). For that term, they shall assure that they are ready to dedicate a considerable time for the business of the Association without any financial compensation by the Association. In the case that they work for an institution they shall assure that, at the time of their application, they have their institution’s support and backing to hold that office and to use the institution's infrastructure as required, if appointed. Otherwise, they shall ensure that they will provide themselves with the needed equipment.
- Disclose their ability to pay for travel and accommodation expenses. Before applying, candidates should approach their institutions regarding the financial commitment required to be on the Board and indicate on their application the level of support that their institution or they personally, are able to provide. While IASA prefers that applicants receive as much assistance as possible from their institutions, as it enables the organization to put resources into other activities, it also recognizes that many applicants may have financial constraints. Therefore, in certain cases, IASA will provide support for the mid-year meeting and other meetings for Board activities.
- Shall have sufficient knowledge in English enabling them to negotiate with representatives of other associations, organisations and institutions.
- Shall include a biography to their nomination to inform the membership of their qualifications and experience. These biographies are part of the electoral list to be sent to the membership.
- Those candidates applying for president will be favoured who, additionally, hold managerial posts within an archival institution and are used to making decisions and having good contacts to other archival institutions, governmental and/or non-governmental organisations, commercial/industrial companies and other authorities.
- The Nominating Committee is obliged to examine the candidates’ nominations in time. If a nomination does not correspond to the required guidelines, then the Nominating Committee shall call the candidate’s attention to that and ask her/him for a statement. The Nominating Committee is, however, not permitted to decline nominations.
The Nominating Committee:
Chair: Matthew Davies
National Film & Sound Archive
GPO Box 2002
Canberra ACT 2601
Fax +61 6248 2167
Fax +41 (0)31 380 10 81
American Folklife Centre
Library of Congress